Basic Underground School (ELT 211)
Paul Joseph Klutz MD Library and Education Center, Maiden, NC
Monday, August 07, 2023
- Friday, August 11, 2023
Add to Calendar
Eastern Standard Time
Registration deadline July 24, 2023
The Basic Underground School introduces personal protective grounding on an Underground Distribution System (URD). Topics include safe working practices and procedures, terminators, elbows, and transformers, underground installation. Upon completion, students will be able to relate safety practices associated with URD systems and demonstrate proper underground system make up.
- Cable Identification & Characteristics
- Change Bushing and Fuse
- Confined Space Rescue
- Constructing the following:
- Primary Splice
- Terminators & Elbows
- Underground Enclosure
- Transformer Grounds
- Personal Protective Grounding of Transformers and URD Cables
- Safety Inspection & Maintenance of Trenchers and Backhoes
- Underground Safety
- Underground Specifications
- Underground Stripping Tool Use
- URD Transformer Maintenance
This school is not intended to certify an individual as outlined in (a) (2) (vii) of the 1910.269 Electrical Power Generation Transmission and Distribution Standard.
STUDENT REQUIREMENTS - Students are required to bring the following:
- Required PPE (hard hat, work gloves, rubber gloves and protectors, ANSI Z87 safety glasses, work boots)
- Side Cutter Pliers
- Channel Lock Pliers
- Lineman’s Hammer
- Large Flathead Screwdriver
- 12” Adjustable wrench
- Ratchet wrenches ½”, 9/16”, 5/8”, ¾”
- Hex Key set 3/16-3/8
- Folding Fiberglass Ruler
- Skinning knife
- Lineman’s ratcheting wrench
- Penta Star wrench
- Voltage Meter
- Rain Gear
- FDR long-sleeve shirt(s)
- Latest Edition of the APPA Safety Manual
Students are encouraged to bring a clean pair of shoes to wear inside the classroom.Students who are physically restricted to participate will be dismissed. Those with damaged or defective equipment will be dismissed.
- Monday: 9:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m.– 12:00 p.m.
- Members: $799
- Associate Members: $1149
- Non-Members: $1699
CANCELLATION POLICY: If a course is cancelled by ElectriCities, all registrants will be notified with a full registration fee refund. Participant Cancellation and No Shows: A non-refundable registration fee will be charged for cancellations after the deadline of July 24, 2023.
AFFILIATED PROGRAMS: This course satisfies Safety School requirements for the ElectriCities Lineworker Career Development, Underground Career Development and Apprenticeship (Level II).
NASH COMMUNITY COLLEGE: This course is part of the Nash Community College Electric Line Construction Technology Degree program. Successful completion of the ElectriCities Basic Underground School grants participants credit for Nash’s “Underground Line Construction I” (ELT 211).
INSTRUCTOR: Jeff Freeman