Substation Operations School (ELT 117BB)
Fayetteville PWC, Fayetteville, NC
Monday, July 31, 2023
- Friday, August 04, 2023
Add to Calendar
Eastern Standard Time
Registration deadline July 17, 2023
The Substation Operations School will provide participants with an opportunity to learn about the operations of a substation. This course will cover information and experiences to help recognize and eliminate potential hazards that arise within a substation. The Information covered will guide participants to a safer, more fulfilling career.
- Introduction to Substations
- Substation Components:
- Circuit Breakers
- Circuit Switchers
- DC Systems
- Grounding Grids
- Electric Systems Protection
- Substation Safety
- Substation Operations and Switching
- Breaker Operations
- Load Tap Changers and Regulator Operations
- Personal Protective Grounding
- Battery Maintenance
- Basic Math and Calculations
- Electrical Systems Distribution Control Equipment
- Breaker Station
- Reclosure Station
- Single-phase Voltage Regulator Station
- Single-phase Reclosure/Trip Saver Station
- Capacitor Banks
This school is not intended to certify an individual as outlined in (a) (2) (vii) of the 1910.269 Electrical Power Generation Transmission and Distribution Standard.
STUDENT REQUIREMENTS - Students are required to bring the following:
- Required PPE (hard hat, work gloves, rubber gloves and protectors, ANSI Z87 safety glasses, work boots)
- Voltage Meter
- Rain Gear
- FDR long-sleeve shirt(s)
- Latest Edition of the APPA Safety Manual
Students are encouraged to bring a clean pair of shoes to wear inside the classroom. Students who are physically restricted to participate will be dismissed. Those with damaged or defective equipment will be dismissed.
- Monday: 1:00 p.m.– 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m.– 12:00 p.m.
- Members: $799
- Associate Members: $1149
- Non-Members: $1699
Price includes workbook, snacks and lunch Tuesday – Thursday. Class size is limited to 25.
PREREQUISITES: Three years of experience in linework or substation operations.
CANCELLATION POLICY: If a course is cancelled by ElectriCities, all registrants will be notified with a full registration fee refund. Participant Cancellation and No Shows: A non-refundable registration fee will be charged for cancellations after the deadline of July 17, 2023.
AFFILIATED PROGRAMS: This course satisfies Safety School requirements for the ElectriCities Lineworker Career Development and Underground Career Development Programs.
NASH COMMUNITY COLLEGE: This course is part of the Nash Community College Electric Line Construction Technology Degree program.Successful completion of the ElectriCities Substation Operations School grants participants credit for Nash’s “Overhead Line Construction IV-BB” (ELT 117BB).
INSTRUCTOR: Ross Whitehurst