Trenching Competent Person/Confined Space (ELT 122BB)
Newberry Firehouse Conference Center, Newberry, SC
Tuesday, October 03, 2023
- Wednesday, October 04, 2023
Add to Calendar
Eastern Standard Time
Registration deadline September 19th, 2023
This Trenching Competent Person/Confined Space School covers a variety of topics ranging from the required steps and documentation to reclassify a space to a live demonstration of required safety equipment. This class is recommended for line superintendents and other individuals who are responsible for design, construction and installation of underground distribution systems.
- Most economical selection of trenching safety alternatives
- Most frequently cited trenching violations in North Carolina
- How to complete the OSHA Trenching and Excavation Inspection Form
- New Trenching Safety Alternatives – soil nails, grouting, tiebacks
- When the OSHA regulations require an engineer to be involved
- OSHA trigger depths and distances throughout the standard
- What constitutes a “Confined Space” vs. a “Permit-Required Confined Space”
- Required steps and documentation to reclassify a space, so the regulation no longer applies
- The alternative procedure – entry without permit and without an attendant outside
- Full permit entry procedure
- Components of written confined space entry program
- Required training, equipment and documentation for different entry procedures
- Setting up your utilities’ internal permit procedure for issuance, collection and review
- Live demonstration of required safety equipment
- Overview of lockout - tagout procedures as they apply to confined space entry
Note: Each attendee will participate in hands-on soil classification of OSHA Soil Types A, B, and C.
This school is not intended to certify an individual as outlined in (a) (2) (vii) of the 1910.269 Electrical Power Generation Transmission and Distribution Standard.
- Wednesday: 9:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 8:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
Lunch provided Wednesday and Thursday.
- Members: $799
- Associate Members: $1149
- Non-Members: $1699
Price includes workbook, snacks and lunch Monday – Thursday. Class size is limited to 25.
CANCELLATION POLICY: If a course is cancelled by ElectriCities, all registrants will be notified with a full registration fee refund. Participant Cancellation and No Shows: A non-refundable registration fee will be charged for cancellations after the deadline of September 19th, 2023.
AFFILIATED PROGRAMS: This course satisfies Safety School requirements for the ElectriCities Apprenticeship (Level III) Program.
NASH COMMUNITY COLLEGE: This course is part of the Nash Community College Electric Line Construction Technology Degree program. Successful completion of the ElectriCities Trenching/Competent Person & Confined Space School grants participants credit for Nash’s “National Electrical Safety Code - BB” (ELT 112BB).
INSTRUCTOR: Anthony Michaels