Transformer School (ELT 117AB)
Paul Joseph Klutz MD Library and Education Center, Maiden, NC
Monday, March 13, 2023
- Friday, March 17, 2023
Add to Calendar
Eastern Standard Time
Registration deadline February 27, 2023.
The Transformer School will cover the basics of installing, maintaining and troubleshooting transformers and banks. Participants will apply this knowledge and skills towards installing overhead transformers and underground three-phase banks.
- Basic Electricity Principles
- Energizing Transformers
- How to Draw and Read Vector Diagrams
- Secondary Rotation
- Single-phase Transformer Installation and Connections
- Single-phase Transformer Load Checks
- Special Purpose Transformers
- Three-phase Transformer Bank Connections
- Three-phase Transformer Bank Load Checks
- Transformer Construction
- Transformer Information and Characteristics
- Transformer Polarity
- Transformer Principles
- Underground Transformers
- Transformer Voltage Testing
- Wye and Delta Systems Characteristics
This school is not intended to certify an individual as outlined in (a) (2) (vii) of the 1910.269 Electrical Power Generation Transmission and Distribution Standard.
STUDENT REQUIREMENTS - Students are required to bring the following:
- Required PPE (hard hat, work gloves, rubber gloves and protectors, ANSI Z87 safety glasses, work boots)
- Side Cutter Pliers
- Channel Lock Pliers
- Lineman’s Hammer
- Large Flathead Screwdriver
- 12” Adjustable wrench
- Ratchet wrenches ½”, 9/16”, 5/8”, ¾”
- Hex Key set 3/16-3/8
- Folding Fiberglass Ruler
- Skinning knife
- Lineman’s ratcheting wrench
- Penta Star wrench
- Voltage Meter
- Rain Gear
- FDR long-sleeve shirt(s)
- Lastest Edition of the the APPA Safety Manual
Students are encouraged to bring a clean pair of shoes to wear inside the classroom. Students who are physically restricted to participate will be dismissed. Those with damaged or defective equipment will be dismissed.
- Monday: 9:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday – Thursday: 8:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m.– 12:00 p.m.
- Members: $799
- Associate Members: $1149
- Non-Members: $1699
Price includes workbook, snacks and lunch Monday – Thursday. Class size is limited to 25.
PREREQUISITES: Intermediate Lineworker School
CANCELLATION POLICY: If a course is cancelled by ElectriCities, all registrants will be notified with a full registration fee refund. Participant Cancellation and No Shows: A non-refundable registration fee will be charged for cancellations after the deadline of February 27, 2023.
AFFILIATED PROGRAMS: This course satisfies Safety School requirements for the ElectriCities Lineworker Career Development, Underground Career Development, and Apprenticeship (Level III) Programs.
NASH COMMUNITY COLLEGE: This course is part of the Nash Community College Electric Line Construction Technology Degree program. Successful completion of the ElectriCities Transformer School grants participants credit for Nash’s “Overhead Line Construction IV-AB” (ELT 117AB).
INSTRUCTOR: Mark Todd